Tuesday, March 22, 2011

working mom

In three months I go back to work. I went in to my office today to get caught up on a few things. I have a kickass job, I have an awesome boss and I like my job a whole lot. When I was in the office I was ready to jump right back in full speed and go for it, but then reality hits and the thought of leaving Hannah makes me weak at the knees. I'm going back to work part-time which makes leaving Hannah bearable. When I'm working, I'm a bit of a workaholic, I'm the kind of person who can't close my computer at the end of the day with unanswered emails in my inbox. Before Hannah was born I envisioned myself as a working mom but now that she's here I realize that it will be hard work to create a balance between work and home. Matt is really supportive, I've got some pretty amazing friends in the same position and talking about it helps. It's the over-analyzing that's the worst.

So instead of thinking about it all too much I made salad, and it was really good.

Roasted Pepper and Apple Quinoa Salad

2 cups of quinoa
4 cups water
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 medium sized white onion, chopped
1 medium sized apple, chopped
1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp each of ground coriander, ginger and turmeric
1 tbsp olive oil

1/4 cup raisins
10 dried apricots, chopped
1 cup boiling water 

1/2 cup crumbled feta
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped (optional)

Dressing
1 tsp white white vinegar
juice and zest of a lemon
1 tsp dijon
1 tbsp yogurt 
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

• Preheat oven to 450° 
• Put quinoa and water in a saucepan, bring to boil and let simmer for 10-13 minutes until cooked. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 mins and then fluff with a fork. (I discovered cooking quinoa in the rice cooker is the easiest thing ever)
• Toss yellow pepper, onion, apple, coriander, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric and olive oil together, pour on to a sheet tray and roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes, turning once.
• Soak raisins and apricots in boiling water for 5 minutes until softened, drain well.
• Whisk all dressing ingredients together in a bowl
• Mix quinoa with all the ingredients and dressing, Enjoy!

1 comment:

Adrianne said...

I've been reading through some of your old posts to print off any recipes I haven't tried (or that I want to make again and again). Love being able to read your thoughts about going back to work. Especially note the "over analyzing" that you mentioned in this post.

Naomi's almost 7 months and I am planning to go back to work in 3 1/2 months. No matter how much I tell myself just to enjoy this time with her, I can't help but re-think all the options I have (stay home, work ???) and the pros/cons of each. I know I've made it work in the past (with Maddie) but don't really want to just "make it work" this time ... crazy over-analyzing.