Thursday, April 28, 2011

i love sumac.

I've been having really great days lately. I feel settled, relaxed and happy. Seeing friends, walking in the sunshine, chill nights with Matt and sunshine, I know I said that already, but the sun feels great!

Seeing my beautiful new nephew and niece has me appreciating Hannah so much. To think that ten months ago she was such a small and delicate creature is baffling. I love her company so much, I feel like she has a great sense of humour, she's so loving, determined and curious.

We walked over to South Granville today for baby time at the Firehall Library. I've been to a few Baby Times at other branches, but Firehall on Thursdays at 11:15 takes the cake. Thomas who leads the sing-a-long is amazing, it was crowded but so worth it. We ended the session with some Stompin' Tom Connors. 

We stopped off at Yek-O-Yek on Main Street before coming home and picked up a few groceries including some sumac. I've wanted to cook with sumac for ages but keep forgetting to buy it.

Matt is playing hockey tonight and I've been to the gym so I thought we would have pasta for a treat. It was SO good and I love sumac!

Rigatoni with Sumac, Tomato, Bacon and Chevre
3 cups rigatoni
3 cups tomatoes, chopped (I used red and yellow)
1/2 cup chopped basil
1/4 cup chevre
4 pieces of thick cut bacon, fried or baked crispy and chopped (optional)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp dried sumac powder
1 clove garlic, grated or finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste

• Cook pasta in salted boiling water until al dente, Reserve 1/8 cup of the cooking water before draining.
• Mix pasta, reserved water, tomatoes, basil, chevre, bacon, olive oil, sumac and garlic together and season with salt and pepper.
Serves 4-6 depending on portion size


No comments: