Sunday, May 8, 2011

more weekend, less week!

I had a great weekend, even with the craptacular weather. I mean really, it hailed for 45 minutes yesterday, it gathered up on the roads in huge piles of ball bearing sized lumps. It was cold and gray but still we had fun. 

We had friends over for dinner last night and I had one of those nights where everything went wrong with dinner. I had prepped snapper and grape tomato kebabs that marinated in lemon zest, parsley and olive oil and then seasoned with this amazing Hawaiian salt that friends brought me back from  . . . Hawaii.

But then the bbq wouldn't start and our oven still doesn't work so I couldn't broil the kebabs. I ended up having to (with much swearing under my breath) take the fish off the kebabs to pan fry, but our elements aren't getting that hot so it wouldn't get crisp. Everything was still tasty, but it wasn't how I had wanted it to work and I was grumpy about it and only cooked half the fish.

After a fun day in Crescent Beach and White Rock today with our moms we got home and I needed to deal with the uncooked fish.

I'm still on the Wild Rose cleanse and wanted to make something tasty with it so I whipped up a fish stew in half an hour. It was so damn good I could eat it every day for the rest of my life. Or a week for sure and that's saying a lot.

Snapper and Tomato Stew
5-6 fillets of snapper marinated for a few hours or overnight in chopped parsley, lemon zest and olive oil.
1 large white onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
6 stalks of celery chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/4" chunks 
3 bay leaves
pinch of dried rosemary
1 tin of diced tomatoes
1 tin of stewed tomatoes
2 cups chicken stock
20 grape tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste

In a heavy bottomed pot saute onion in olive oil until translucent (about 7 minutes), add celery and garlic and cook for 4 minutes. Add garlic, potatoes, bay, rosemary, diced tomatoes, stewed tomatoes and chicken stock. Let simmer for at least 15 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through.
Add snapper and grape tomatoes and reduce heat. Gently stir fish through and let cook for ten minutes or until fish is cooked through and the grape tomatoes look swollen and tasty. Add parsley and stir, season with salt and pepper and enjoy!!

1 comment:

Kat said...

This looks incredible! I will have to try this out and report back :)