Sunday, January 1, 2012

Herbed Salt


















We always like to give a homemade gift at Christmas, in the past we've there's been homemade marshmallows and cinnamon hot cocoa kits, different spice rubs, homemade cannelloni packages. This year was my favourite and it's so easy to make.

Garlic Herbed Salt
This made enough to fill fourteen small mason jars, you could easily half the recipe.
2 boxes of kosher salt (3lbs each)
12-14 garlic cloves, cut in chunks *
6 bunches of fresh herbs - I used oregano, sage, basil and rosemary

Strip the leaves off the herbs. In two batches in a food processor, pulse the herbs and garlic until they are finely minced. In a large bowl mix the herbs thoroughly with the salt.
Let dry on cookie sheets for 2-3 days, there will be some hard bits, stir to break them up. Store in jars, the salt dries the garlic and herbs and these keep indefinitely.

Next time I make this I'm going to do a lemon and chili blend too. This salt is so tasty, we've been putting it on everything. My favourite so far is on a soft boiled egg!

* I used this method for peeling the garlic - genius!!  (I used two medium sized glass mixing bowls)

No comments: