Monday, March 5, 2012

Zucchini Patties

































Every Sunday I make patties, during Hannah's afternoon nap, I grate a bunch of zucchini and make her favourite food.
This week I made a few revelations:
1. Make a double batch and freeze half - then I can take a week off from patty making.
2. Grate the cheese and zucchini in the food processor.
3. Regarding the above > genius.

These are tasty cold from the fridge or warmed up and dipped in yogurt. I even chop them up and add them to my lunch salad. So tasty!

I switch the recipe up every week, it has never been the same. The recipe below is the base recipe, make whatever substitutions you want, I've listed some below.

Zucchini Patties
6 cups grated zucchini, all the water squeezed out
1/2 cooking onion, finely chopped or grated
3 cups grated old cheddar 
2 eggs
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I use panko)
1/2 cup ground flax*
salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl mix everything together. If the mixture feels a little too wet, add a bit more bread crumbs.

Form patties using a one tablespoon scoop, flatten them out a little.
Here's where it's up to you how you cook them. You can either fry them up in a nonstick pan over medium heat, about 3 minutes a side until golden brown. Or, this is how I do it after months on end of patty making > I make the patties and putt them on a baking tray lined with a nonstick sheet. Bake them at 375° for 12 minutes and then pan fry them. I do this because I find they end up creamier in the middle and keep their shape better.

Substitutions
• If ground flax isn't your thing, swap for more bread crumbs - personally, I like the nuttiness of the flax.
• Use 3 cups grated zucchini and 3 cups steamed and finely chopped broccoli or cauliflower.
• Cut back on the breadcrumbs and add in leftover brown rice, couscous or quinoa.
• For more flavour to the patties, add pesto, chopped garlic and chopped fresh herbs.
• Swap half of the cheddar for feta, and a cup of the zucchini with cooked chopped spinach

Similar recipes that are toddler friendly:

No comments: