Tuesday, March 15, 2011

how to - paper crane mobile
























I had originally planned to make a mobile of white paper cranes. I had the paper and started folding when Matt pointed out that white cranes hanging under a white ceiling would not be very visually stimulating for a baby. 

Changed my plans, and I headed to Paper-Ya on Granville Island and bought the most amazing textured origami paper in fantastic bright colours and started fresh.

Here's how I made this incredibly easy mobile.

• I purchased strips of bamboo and fishing line at Urban Source
• I created an oval out of the bamboo strips and I used a glue gun to glue the ends together
• I tied fishing line at four opposing points on the oval and joined them in the middle (this is where the mobile will hang from a hook
• I folded the paper cranes following these instructions
• I tied fishing line through the tops of the cranes, knotted tone end of the  line at the top of the birds and keeping a long length for tying
• I hung the mobile from a simple hook I put in the ceiling and then tied the cranes to the bamboo oval at varying heights

Every time I go in Hannah's room this mobile makes me happy, I made it during my first week of maternity leave. I had taken a month off to get lots of projects done, Hannah came fourteen days early and had other plans for me!

2 comments:

Anna Schafer said...

I created an oval out of the bamboo strips and I used a glue gun to glue the ends together. industrial mobile cranes

Laraib Strat Wit said...

Awesome Post
Check Me Out
Standard crane Vancouver