Spent the morning at the Mt. Pleasant Community Centre for an open play time in the gym with a big group of mom friends and their little ones. It was madness and so much fun! Hannah slept like a log for 2 hours afterward!
For dinner I wanted to make us a treat. Here's my recipe for an easy pizza dough.
I've tried much more involved pizza dough recipes like this one, but today I wanted something easy and fast.
1 envelope (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 1/4 - 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp sea salt
• Dissolve yeast in water in a mixing bowl, let stand until yeast blooms (about 5-10 minutes)
• In a second bowl, mix together 2 1/4 cup flour and salt
• Add yeast mixture and stir until smooth. Let the dough rest 10 minutes.
• Knead the dough on a floured surface until the dough becomes smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. If the dough is too sticky, work in more flour until it is no longer tacky. This dough is softer than most pizza doughs, so don't add to much flour!
• Divide the dough into 2 balls and coat each ball with a bit of olive oil, put each ball into its own medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (takes about an hour and a half.
• Roll out dough when ready
I like to use a pizza stone for pizza and breads. Heat oven and pizza stone to 450°, let stone heat in oven for 20 minutes.
Take stone out of oven, sprinkle with cornmeal, put dough on and top with your favourite toppings, bake for about 20 minutes until crust and cheese are golden.
On our pizzas tonight, we had sauteed dandelion greens, prosciutto, diced tomatoes and buratta cheese. They were amazing!