Wednesday, June 1, 2011

cousins

I'm the youngest of four children. My sisters are sixteen and seventeen years older than me, my brother is eight years older. So as much as I'm the youngest of four, at home it often felt like I was one of two and then once my brother was off to University, I was an only child. I can't imagine my family any other way, it's perfect as it is.

My sister has two daughters, I was nine when the first was born and eleven with the second. I was the youngest aunt I knew. My nieces have often felt more like a mix of nieces and sisters. I love them lots, just don't see them as much as I should.

I love my big family. My parents have heaps of brothers and sisters - like any good Irish Catholic family does. I have more cousins than I could ever begin to count. Not a single one within a few years of my age. They were all either years older or years younger. At the equestrian centre that my aunt ran in Luskville, Quebec where we spent most of our weekends, I learned to entertain myself - I hung out in the barn, went for big walks with the dogs and read a whole lot while lying in the fields. I always wanted cousins close to me in age.

I married into an amazing family. I love my in-laws. Matt's siblings are all wonderful people that I love dearly, they are some of my closest friends. In many respects we've grown up together over the past twelve years.

I am so excited for Hannah to grow up with her cousins from Matt's side of the family. Between three of us we have four under the age of four. I can't wait for sleepovers and holidays. 

We went to the park today with Matt's sister and her two girls, one is five weeks old, the other is getting close to four. While the baby slept, Hannah played with her cousin and when her cousin was off playing with her friend, Hannah watched her every move. 

2 comments:

Adrianne said...

Love this post! I can't wait to see what the years will bring with all our kids growing up together.

kate said...

It's going to be great!