Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Cape Dorset




















I grew up with Cape Dorset art in my parent's home. They were given pieces in the early 70's and they have a beautiful collection. I've loved Inuit Art for as long as I can remember. Monet speaks to some people, Dorset art makes me happy, soothes my soul and I adore it. I've been gifted three original prints from my parent's, two for my thirtieth birthday, the third to complete my collection. I have a Lucy, a Pudlo and an Eleeshushe.
When we were on Galiano Island, the woman who owned the property we stayed on had an amazing Innukjuakjuk print of three Canadian Geese. She had a 1960 book of Dorset art that I had never seen (I collect the yearly books and have many from '62-'76) and I spent a sunny island afternoon going through the book, the best part was the back page with the photos of all the artists.


Cape Dorset has the longest history of traditional Inuit printmaking in Canada, and its carvings and prints are marketed worldwide through a highly evolved infrastructure. Established in the late 1950s, the West Baffin Eskimo Co-Operative was the first Inuit owned co-operative operated by its members. For over fifty years, the co-op has provided an outlet for artists to create and market their art.

Print Making is renowned in Cape Dorset. At the West Baffin Eskimo Co-op, in the Kinngait Studios, a series of prints is produced each year. The stonecut print is unique to Canada's North, and has been the chosen medium of the Kinngait Studios for 50 years. The slate surface is carefully inked and the delicate paper placed on top.
The ink is pressed into the paper by hand, and the finished product gently lifted off the template.

No comments: