I feel lucky to be able to work three days a week and not full time, it's a good balance for me. I love planning things to do with Hannah on my days off. This past Friday we went to Jericho Beach and had a picnic in the sun under our umbrella.
I'm starting to get into a routine, getting my working days prepped before I head to sleep the night before. It's all in the planning. My bag is ready at the door before I go to sleep and my lunch is in the fridge.
Meal planning is key for my breakfasts and lunches. On Sunday nights I prep food for my lunches, these are my standbys:
• big batch of soup to scoop into a glass tupperware, these are my two favourites: gazpacho and minted pea soup
• lots of clean lettuce and herbs, chopped veggies, boiled corn cut off the cob, chopped tomatoes, peppered goat cheese, leftover roasted veggies, hard boiled eggs and pumpkin seeds - any combo of these into a glass bowl with a little sprinkle of salt and pepper. I keep homemade dressing at work. Lately I've been loving a variation of this lemon miso dressing (I add a bit of olive oil, dijon, pepper, rice wine and tahini to it)
If I don't put the blender out the night before for my smoothie, I end up running out of time to make it.
My favourite combinations are:
• almond milk, dates, banana, mango, ice, cinnamon and a scoop of greens powder
• frozen blueberries, banana, yogurt, honey, almond milk and a scoop of hemp protein powder
• banana, almond butter, almond milk, cocoa nibs and ice
Do you have any favourite make-ahead, on the go breakfasts? I'm wondering what other people do. I find toast is just not a breakfast that works for me, I need something a little more interesting, protein rich and tasty!